Sunday, December 6, 2015

Everywhere I go children flock around shouting Matangkad

 I'm in the field now and am doing pretty great!!! Life is kinda different here than in the MTC. I had my first cold shower the other day and it was just as horrific as I had imagined. Hahaha I'm getting used to it now though. When I get home I'll probably take the longest warm shower ever and just bask in the life-giving water. 

I really enjoyed the MTC pero it was getting a bit old after 40 days and 40 nights of the same old routine day after day after day after day X10. Now I know how Noah felt being trapped on the ark with the aardvarks. Aardvark rhymes with ark. I'm sure they didn't annoy him at first, but after a while, the little things started getting on his nerves a little bit, like their funny noses and weird sounds they make. Not that my companions had funny noses or anything, but I think you get the idea.

I am learning quite a lot more Tagalog now than I was in the MTC. I think it's because I have to. Sometimes in the middle of lessons, Elder Lindaya will stop and look at me, and I will have to say something. In my mind I'm freakin' out, but I think I play it off pretty well. Yesterday was fast Sunday and I bore my testimony sa Tagalog, and I am quite pleased with myself. Fasting is real! I fasted for the kaloob ng mga wika (gift of tongues) and I can feel a difference in my learning! 

Guess what!!! They have Hot Dogs in the Philippines too! I've eaten probably like 5 of them already in just the last 3 days. Maybe it's not so different from America after all. Just Kidding!!!!! it's way different. Driving is wacky here. Most people don't care about the lines on the road. if your car can fit in a gap, it will go for it. Motorcycles are weaving in and out of everyone like crazy!!! It's kinda fun, but I don't think I want a mission car, that's for sure!

Elder Lindaya is super great! He speaks pretty good english, and is really patient with my lack of Tagalog. I'm his first anak (child), or trainee, and he's doing a great job. He calls me his anak, and I call him tatay (dad). I met my lolo (grandpa) Elder Lindaya's trainer, at church yesterday. He's pretty cool. Probably I will start leading in OYMing (open your mouth) and talking to random strangers we see. That's a wee bit intimidating, but what ever. :) I think it helps that I'm twice as tall as a lot of people. Everywhere I go, children flock around us shouting Matangkad (tall)!!! It's kinda fun!

satay (dad) and  anak (child) with President and Sister Ostler


I have a quick question for Heidi. What is the name of the fairy on Fairly odd Parents who is in love with Wanda? that's been bothering me for 44 days. haha

I'm glad that Sam is able to go live his dream of being homeless in Hawaii. Maybe I will join him in a couple years and give him some tips from what I observe while I'm here. 

Anywho, life is grand over here for me, and all is well!!! Mahal kita! I love you all!!!


Elder Fawson

No comments:

Post a Comment