Tuesday, August 29, 2017

I can now testify for myself, that green eggs are not the best...

Helo mundo. That's tagalog for, "Hello world."

This is my investigator's manokan (place where he takes care of his chickens).

Before I get into the everyday goings on in my life, I have a story to tell you. I woke up Wednesday morning and thought it would be just an average morning, but little did I know there would be something very different. It all happened when cooking my breakfast. I put my bread in the toaster oven thing, then turned on the stove to heat up the pan for my eggs. I grabbed a couple eggs from the fridge, and cracked one onto the pan. It was perfect. The yolk didn't break or anything! I flipped the egg. Perpekto pa rin [perfect still]. I spatula-ed it onto my plate. I cracked the other egg onto the pan and much to my surprise, the egg whites wasn't very white. I think we could call it egg greens. I cooked it just like a regular egg and it turned out alright, except that it was green. I debated on not eating it, but then said to myself, “walang sayang!” [‘no affection!”] You may be thinking that's super gross, but I remembered Dr. Seuss' book, Green Eggs and Ham. That guy didn't want to eat the green eggs, but thanks to Sam I Am's persistence, he figured out that green eggs are actually really good. I can now testify for myself, that green eggs are not the best, and not nearly as good as the normal egg, but it didn't kill me either. (I included a photo of my green egg) Later on in the week we learned that almost the entire carton of eggs we bought that week were super bad and not suitable to be eaten by humans. We tossed them out and the neighbors dog went for them. So much for walang sayang. :)



I think I said last week we were going to look for star fish. Just so you know, we found them. Their entire hive. At first we were looking at couldn't find a single one, then after about a half an hour on our way back there were suddenly like a hundred along the way. It was awesome! Star fish are fun.

These were my companions when I worked in Taytay last week. Elder DelPilar and Elder DeCastro. They're super awesome!

Yeah. Elder Wilkes is pretty guwapo.


We went on Exchanges in Taytay last week too which is always fun! 
We were blessed once again to be the only ones in the shuttle going there. That's always the best thing ever, because when they cram 15 people onto 12 seats it gets a bit crowded. My knees don't appreciate it very much. It was a good exchange. We got rained on, but only a little. Every time the rain started to get super malakas [strong] we would go in someones house for a lesson, and then we would finish just as the rain stopped. That happened like 3 times. I was really pleased 'cause I forgot to bring my payong [umbrella].

Suffer the children to come unto me.


Another cool thing happened just yesterday. We were teaching Maryann (the bunsong kapatid [youngest sibling] of sister Marissa) and we asked about her Book of Mormon reading, and she's already to chapter 3 of 1st Nephi. It's cool 'cause we just gave her the book last Wednesday or something. She even read the whole pambungad, [introduction], testimony of the witnesses and of Joseph Smith. She's definitely getting baptized soon. Our lesson yesterday was Ang Word of Wisdom (the word of wisdom). She was fine with everything but one thing. Kape (coffee)! That is the worst thing. It gets everyone. Don't worry though. She promised not to drink it ever again magpakailanman [forever]. Cool stuff. 

Here's brother Joseph Alquezar eating a banana. You don't know him, but he's one of the coolest people I've met my whole mission. The lady in the photo is his wife. She's way cool too!!!

A crazy thing happened yesterday. We got home in the evening and were super hungry so we made a huge thing of spaghetti and ate ourselves silly, then later while Elder Tanner was taking out the trash (sometimes he likes to do the Rob job) and the neighbors were having a birthday party and were like, "Kain tayo!" [Let’s eat] That's the Filipino way of saying hi if they just so happen to be eating at the time. They don't really want to share their food, unless they say it 3 times. That's the magic number daw (There goes that school house rock song again! haha) the first time he was just like "sige po" like we always do. Then they said it again, "Kain tayo." He started explaining we had just filled our bellies to the brim on spaghetti when it happened the 3rd time. "Kain tayo!" (Notice the explanation point on this last one) He couldn't refuse. We went and they loaded up a couple plates for us. It was good food, but we were already oh so super duper busog. Somehow I managed to get it all down. Then it was like 10:25 and time for sleep. I still haven't eaten anything today and I'm still not hungry. Fun story huh. Yup. Filipinos take their birthdays pretty seriously!

Elder Fawson staying happy!

Robert inherited the coveted single eyebrow lifting gene :)


That's about all the interesting things I have to say about this week. I'm still safe and all is well in Roxas. I may not be in Roxas for much longer though. Next week is transfers and I have reason to think that there is a good chance I'll be transferring for my last transfer. It's not sigurado [sure] yet though. We'll see what happens. So yeah. Mahal ko kayo! Have a good week! I know I will. :)

We eat here sometimes and always order footlongs (really long hotdogs) and the people always are surprised that we want an entire footlong. Maybe they think we can't kaya the whole thing, and always double-check that we don't want just a 6 inch footlong. hahahaha


Another weird thing I just remembered is that this morning we went to the palengke (market) to buy some beef for our tacos we want to make before Elder Tanner goes home so we bought a kilo and as we were walking home we noticed it was almost all bone. They basically gave us a kilo of cow bone with a little bit of meat on it. That was disappointing. Now you can be thankful every time you go to the store and buy preground, boneless beef. :) Mahal kita ulit!  [I love you again] :)


Elder Fawson


Here's that dead rat on our porch last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment